Nothing beats a fresh and healthy watermelon arugula salad in the summertime! The sweet watermelon is a surprising compliment to the peppery arugula, creamy feta cheese, and balsamic glaze. Don’t knock it until you try it!
Fresh summer side dishes are my favorite to enjoy when my garden is overflowing with fresh fruits and veggies. I love sharing these summer dishes at potlucks with friends and family. Some of my go-to potluck dishes include this crowd-pleasing corn, these amazing baked beans, and my kid’s favorite fruit salad.
What Is Watermelon Arugula Salad?
The flavor combinations in this watermelon arugula salad may raise a lot of eyebrows, but I am telling you, it is the most unforgettable salad I have ever had! The sweet juicy watermelon and then added crumbly feta paired with the fresh arugula… It makes my mouth water just thinking about it! I love adding fruit to my salad because it just takes them up a notch. I especially like this strawberry avocado salad, my delicious spinach salad, or this salad with chicken.
Because watermelon is so delicious, there are so many things that go with it! All the flavors in this salad are known for how well they complement the sweetness of the watermelon. Fresh mint leaves, sweet and tangy balsamic glaze, and then a fresh squeeze of lime. The lime juice wakes up all the flavors and you will love every single bite! Because this salad is so delicious, you may want to start keeping these ingredients on hand this summer so then you can whip it up whenever you want!
Ingredients You Need to Make Watermelon Arugula Salad
My favorite part about this salad is that it only has a handful of ingredients. Plus, I love how fresh and bright it tastes. It’s definitely one that you will make on repeat all summer long! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact ingredient measurements.
- Baby Arugula: I like using fresh arugula as the base of this salad. It brings all of the flavors together.
- Seedless Watermelon: Cold, crisp, and juicy watermelon brings in just the right amount of sweetness that this salad needs.
- Feta Cheese: You know now that I love feta cheese! It’s creamy and crumbly and adds such a delicious texture to this salad.
- Lime: A subtle and fresh squeeze of a lime complements and brightens all of the other flavors.
- Balsamic Glaze: This is not a typo… balsamic and watermelon are a match made in heaven.
- Fresh Mint: Fresh herbs take salads to a whole new level… The mint in this salad might be the star of the show.
How to Make Watermelon Arugula Salad
I can make this salad in 5 minutes, that’s how fast and easy it is! For best results, don’t make this ahead of time. You will want to try and assemble this salad right before you plan on serving it. You want this salad to be nice and fresh for all of your guests!
- Combine: Place the arugula into a large bowl. Layer on the cubed watermelon, and then sprinkle on the feta cheese.
- Feta Cheese Tip: The trick to this salad is not to toss the ingredients together because then the feta cheese will get too wet.
- Squeeze Lime: Cut and squeeze the juice of half a lime over the whole salad. Use more if you prefer.
- Garnish: Drizzle with balsamic glaze, and then garnish with freshly chopped mint leaves. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Additional Ingredient Ideas
This watermelon arugula salad is delicious as is but… Feel free to make it your own! Here are some ideas that will go nicely with this salad.
- Red Onion: The mild flavor of red onion really goes well with the watermelon and the feta cheese.
- Sliced Oranges: I like adding in a splash of fresh citrus flavor.
- Fresh Basil: Adding basil to any summer salad is a must!
- Nuts: Try adding in some pine nuts or walnuts to this salad. They add in some great flavor and a delicious crunchy texture.
- Drizzle of Honey: You don’t need much, just a drizzle of honey will do! Added sweetness never hurt any salad.
- Squeeze of Lemon: If you don’t have any limes then try out some lemon instead. It works just as well!
- Drizzle of Olive Oil: If you add in some olive oil then it can help to moisten the arugula and the other ingredients in the salad.
- Lemon Vinaigrette: Try my lemon vinaigrette! It’s a great addition and packs a delicious punch of flavors that complement this salad so well!
The key to this watermelon arugula salad is keeping it as fresh as possible. Here are a few tips on making sure that your salad turns out perfectly.
- Don’t store this assembled: The best tip I can give you is to tell you to make sure that you don’t store this salad assembled. I like to store all of the ingredients in separate sealed containers in the refrigerator.
- Don’t make this ahead of time: This salad is best when it is put together just before serving because the ingredients can get soggy. Luckily, this salad is so quick and easy to put together that you don’t need to plan on much time to make it! Just assemble the salad right before you need it and it will taste fresh as fresh can be!
- 5 oz Baby Arugula (about 6 cups)
- 2 cups Seedless Watermelon, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 Lime
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Glaze
- Fresh Mint, for garnish
Place the arugula into a large bowl. Layer on the cubed watermelon, and sprinkle on the feta cheese.
The trick to this salad is not to toss the ingredients together or the feta cheese will get too wet.
Cut and squeeze the juice of half a lime over the whole salad. Use more if you prefer.
Drizzle with balsamic glaze, and garnish with freshly chopped mint leaves. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Serving1cupCalories49kcal (2%)Carbohydrates7g (2%)Protein2g (4%)Fat2g (3%)Saturated Fat1g (5%)Polyunsaturated Fat1gMonounsaturated Fat1gCholesterol7mg (2%)Sodium102mg (4%)Potassium155mg (4%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar4g (4%)Vitamin A887IU (18%)Vitamin C9mg (11%)Calcium84mg (8%)Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Course Salad, Side Dish
Keyword easy, gluten free, watermelon salad, watermelon salad recipe