I love the flavor of breakfast sausage and it’s even better when it’s homemade!
These homemade breakfast sausage patties have a savory blend of spices and add lots of delicious flavor to your morning plate!
Casing-free, they can be shaped like patties or even cooked in a pan to add to breakfast casseroles.
Homemade Breakfast Sausage
- Great Flavor: These homemade sausages are full of flavor
- Make It Your Way: Adjust the spices to suit your taste. Make it mild, spicy, or even sweet by adding a tablespoon of brown sugar or maple syrup.
- Any Time of Day: Sausage isn’t just for breakfast, it’s great in casseroles or even for appetizers.
- Make it Lean: Use ground turkey or lean ground beef if you’d like.
What Gives Breakfast Sausage Its Flavor?
Pork has a little bit of fat and a mild flavor that pairs well with seasonings and spices. A blend of fennel, sage, and smoked paprika adds flavor to this homemade breakfast sausage.
How to Make Breakfast Sausages from Scratch
- Using your hands, combine all of the seasonings with ground pork in a large bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal patties and fry in a hot skillet.
We like to make the spice blend in advance and store it in a jar so it’s always ready to add to meat for a quick sausage! This is perfect to use in all kinds of recipes that call for sausage from breakfast strata to an omelette, or sausage breakfast casserole!
- For an even flavor, combine the seasonings first, and then add them to the ground pork.
- Be sure to let the sausage mixture rest before cooking.
- Cook sausage in the oven, air fryer or in a skillet.
- Double the batch and freeze, this homemade breakfast sausage recipe is great for breakfast sandwiches.
Storage and Reheating
Keep cooked sausage in the fridge for up to 4 days, reheat in the microwave just until heated through.
Patties are easy to freeze in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside and they will keep about 2 months.
Did you make these Homemade Breakfast Sausages? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
4.95 from 35 votes↑ Click stars to rate now!
Or to leave a comment, click here!
Homemade Breakfast Sausages
These breakfast sausages are perfectly seasoned and so savory!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Chill Time 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 20 minutes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried ground sage
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon thyme leaves
- ⅛ teaspoon rosemary crushed
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
Combine pork and all seasonings in a medium bowl. Mix very well.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
Divide meat into 6 patties, ½” thick.
Heat a skillet over medium heat.
Add patties (and a pat of butter if you’d like) and cook 4 minutes per side or until lightly browned.
For a sweeter sausage, add 1 to 2 teaspoons brown sugar.
For a spicy sausage, add 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or extra chili flakes.
To crush spices place them in a small sandwich bag and crush them with a rolling pin or meat mallet.
Ground turkey can be substituted for some or all of the ground pork.
Serving: 1patty | Calories: 201 | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 431mg | Potassium: 217mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 33IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
Course Breakfast, Pork
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
About the author
Holly is a wine and cheese lover, recipe creator, shopping enthusiast and self appointed foodie. Her greatest passion is creating in the kitchen and making deliciously comforting recipes for the everyday home cook!
See more posts by Holly
Subscribe to receive weekly recipes and get a FREE Bonus e-book: Quick & Easy Weeknight Meals!
You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of emails you receive.