The delicious Easy Cuban Sandwich is layered with two kinds of pork, loads of melted swiss cheese, pickles, and mustard. Toasted in butter and pressed to perfection, this is one ultimate sandwich for pork lovers.
I love any kind of delicious pork, whether it’s on a sandwich, cooked as a roast, or served with mashed potatoes and gravy! If you love pork then be sure to try this Skillet Pork Cacciatore or this Slow Cooker Mississippi Pork Roast next!
Easy Cuban Sandwich Recipe
This hearty sandwich is all about the layers and each one plays a significant flavor role in taste. The main ingredient, however, is the two kinds of pork. Layers and layers of smoked ham are paired with thinly sliced pork tenderloin. The Cubano is the ultimate sandwich with the tangy and tart taste of the pickles and mustard paired with melted swiss cheese and pork.
Not only is this sandwich packed with flavor but it’s actually really easy to make! All of the different ingredients complement each other so well and it will make you want this sandwich every week for lunch! It’s also easy to change things up and make this your own. But trust me, once you try this recipe, it will be your new classic, go-to sandwich of choice!
Ingredients in a Cuban Sandwich
This delicious sandwich has a handful of main ingredients and depending on whether you’re from Miami or Tampa you might have different opinions on the correct variation! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Pork Tenderloin: This cut of meat is a MUST for this sandwich!
- Olive Oil: This will help the seasonings stick to your pork
- Orange Juice: The citrus flavor adds a nice touch to the meat.
- Lime Juice: Add in a splash of lime to complement the flavors in the meat.
- Garlic Cloves: If you don’t use fresh garlic cloves then you can use minced garlic. ½ teaspoon equals about 1 clove of garlic.
- Dried Oregano: This seasoning is just the right flavor.
- Cumin: The cumin adds in some flavor but don’t worry, it doesn’t add in heat!
- Cuban Bread: I like to use my homemade Cuban bread recipe but Italian bread will also work!
- Swiss Cheese: I love the contrasting flavor that this cheese brings to the sandwich.
- Smoked Ham: Grab this at the deli and it will be sliced and ready to go!
- Dill Pickles: You can’t ever have enough pickles on a sandwich! These are the best!
- Mustard: Regular mustard is what I use but you could use dijon mustard if you want to amp up the flavoring.
- Butter: I used unsalted butter.
How to Make a Cuban Sandwich
This sandwich is all about the layers, and the most cumbersome part of the prep is cooking the pork tenderloin (only because of the time it takes to cook).
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Make Seasoning and Pour: Place the pork tenderloin on the prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl whisk the olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, garlic cloves, oregano, and cumin together and pour over the pork.
- Cook: Cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 145ºF. Thinly slice the meat and set aside.
- Slice the Bread: Slice each loaf of bread in half lengthwise and then cut it into 4 equal parts.
- Layer: Begin layering the ingredients by adding half of the cheese to the bottom layer of the sandwich bread. Top with the smoked ham, sliced pork, and pickles. Place the remaining cheese on top. Spread mustard on the top piece of bread and place on the sandwich.
- Toast: Melt the butter in a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and set a heavy skillet, such as an iron skillet, on top of the sandwiches to press them down. Once toasted, flip the Cuban sandwich and repeat. If you want, you can use a panini press to toast this sandwich to perfection!
Do You Have to Use Cuban Bread?
This depends on who you ask, but truthfully you can use any soft loaf bread to prepare this sandwich. If the bread is too hard it won’t press easily when cooking it at the end.
Which Pork is Best?
This particular recipe calls for pork tenderloin because it’s easier and quicker to prepare than pork shoulder. Either type of pork cut will work and the shoulder can be flavored slightly more than the tenderloin. The choice is yours!
- 1 pound pork tenderloin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 loaves Cuban bread (Italian bread will also work)
- 1 pound Swiss cheese sliced
- 1 pound smoked ham sliced
- 1 cup dill pickles sliced
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
Preheat the oven to 375º Fahrenheit and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
Place the pork tenderloin on the prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl whisk the olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, garlic cloves, oregano, and cumin together and pour over the pork.
Cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 145º Fahrenheit. Thinly slice the meat and set aside.
Slice each loaf of bread in half lengthwise and then cut it into four equal parts.
Begin layering the ingredients by adding half of the cheese to the bottom layer of the sandwich bread. Top with the smoked ham, sliced pork, and pickles. Place the remaining cheese on top. Spread mustard on the top piece of bread and place on the sandwich.
Melt the butter in a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and set a heavy skillet, such as an iron skillet, on top of the sandwiches to press them down. Once toasted flip the sandwich and repeat.
If you have a panini press you can also use it to toast and press the sandwiches.
Originally Posted on February 21, 2020
Updated on November 25, 2022
Serving1sandwichCalories582kcal (29%)Carbohydrates29g (10%)Protein42g (84%)Fat33g (51%)Saturated Fat15g (75%)Polyunsaturated Fat3gMonounsaturated Fat12gTrans Fat0.1gCholesterol124mg (41%)Sodium1377mg (57%)Potassium536mg (15%)Fiber2g (8%)Sugar3g (3%)Vitamin A621IU (12%)Vitamin C6mg (7%)Calcium564mg (56%)Iron4mg (22%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.
Course lunch, Main Course
Keyword Cuban, Cuban Sandwich Recipe, easy, sandwich